The privileged surroundings of Casa Vilanova
Casa Vilanova is a manor house situated in the village of Pujol in Pallars Sobirà, a tiny and rather remote village surrounded by crop fields and mountains just a short distance from a whole host of natural beauty spots where you’ll find stunning scenery all year round.
Hiking routes, mountain biking, skiing, cultural heritage, adventure sports (rafting, hydrospeed, archery, canyoning, bungee jumping, paragliding, etc.), horse-riding excursions, quad-bike excursions, gastronomy, local festivities… a range of leisure possibilities to satisfy even the most demanding tastes!
Places of interest in the surrounding area:
- National Park of Aigüestortes and Sant Maurici Lake – the only National Park in Catalonia.
- Certascan Lake, the largest in the Pyrenees.
- The Natural Park of the High Pyrenees, where you’ll find the first Interpretation Centre on the native Pyrenees Brown Bear.
- Pica d’Estats, the highest mountain in Catalonia (3,143 metres).
- The Monastery of Santa Maria (9th-11th C) in Gerri de la Sal, or the salt works and the Alfolí (Salt Warehouse) that offers the opportunity to learn about the production process, transformation, storage and commercialization of salt.
- Magnificent examples of Romanesque architecture scattered throughout the Pallars Sobirà region (Sant Joan d’Isil, the Romanesque complex of Son del Pi, Romanesque bridges at Espot and Esterri d’Àneu, the carvings and paintings of Santa Maria de Ginestarre, the monasteries of Santa Maria de Gerri and Sant Pere de Brugal, Santa Maria d’Arboló, Santa Maria d’Àneu, Sant Julià d’Unarre, Sant Jaume d’Arestui…)
- Lake Moncortés, one of three lakes of karstic origin and the only lake in the Pyrenees that is not of glacial origin.
- The Collegats Gorge, a protected natural area which houses a jewel that shines like silver in the sunshine (l’Argenteria).
- The National Hunting Reserve of Boumort, created to protect, nurture and benefit from the species that live there in the wild: deer, chamois, roe deer, boar, Pyrenean owl, black woodpecker, etc.
- Vall Fosca, an enchanting landscape where you’ll find the biggest reserves of water in Catalonia, with around thirty lakes, where between July and September there is a cable-car from Sallente, which covers an altitude difference of 450 m in just 13 minutes.
- The Ecomuseum of Valls d’Àneu, in Esterri d’Àneu.
- The Butterfly Museum in Pujalt.
- Vila Closa de Peramea (declared a National Heritage Site in 1985) and the Era d’Ortega.
- Guided tours of the Tros de Sort cheese dairy. This artisan cheese-maker is located in Sort where they produce a wide range of cheeses using only raw whole milk from cows grazed in lush mountain meadows, produced by the partners themselves. Farm shop open to the public.